The local market consumption of natural gas fell to 5.7bn cubic feet (cf) per day during the current period, compared to 6.2bn cf during the summer months, due to the lower consumption of power plants.
A source at the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) told Daily News Egypt that the rate of domestic gas consumption will gradually increase to 7bn cf per day during the next fiscal year (FY), compared to 6.2 billion during the current FY.
He explained that Egypt currently exports about 600m cf of gas per day to the world markets, divided into 500m cf through Dutch Shell’s Edku plant, and 100m cf across the gas pipeline to Jordan.
Electricity consumption represents about 61% of the total natural gas consumption, while the rest of the gas (39%) is consumed by the industry, households, car supply, petroleum and its derivatives sectors.
Moreover, the source pointed out that the average consumption of the domestic market of gas will rise to about 9bn cf per day by 2020/21, according to the scheme of industrial development, which will increase the capacity of electricity produced and the delivery of gas for homes, as well as boost the conversion of more cars to work with gas instead of petroleum.
He pointed out that the plan of Egypt’s production of natural gas from the Zohr, northern Alexandria, and Borolos fields will contribute to boosting the domestic production and covering consumption rates, with the operation of the liquefaction plants through the gas coming from Cyprus and Israel.
Furthermore, the source added that Egypt’s natural gas production rose to 6.3bn cf per day, compared with 6bn cf per day last year.
He explained that the import of liquefied natural gas (LNG) shipments stopped after local self-sufficiency was achieved, where Norway’s Höegh gasification plant was dispensed, as Zohr’s production reached 2bn cf per day.
Moreover, the source stated that the second gasification vessel will be used only if there is a need to import, or to convert our gas production into LNG, making Egypt an export hub. This could transform Egypt into a global market for energy by exploiting Egypt’s own infrastructure.
This plant will return the imported LNG to its gaseous nature, with a maximum of 750m cf per day, in preparation for pumping it into the national gas grid for local consumption.