Daily News Egypt

Social media outrage following Reham Saeed’s comeback - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area




Advertising Area




Social media outrage following Reham Saeed’s comeback

“Delete Al-Nahar channel from satellites” trended on Twitter, calling for boycotting the TV channel and its sponsors


A wave of anger has swept social media following a decision by privately-owned Al-Nahar TV channel to resume controversial TV anchor Reham Saeed’s show.

Many citizens uploaded photographs of themselves deleting Al-Nahar TV channel from their channels list in response to the decision.

On Twitter, the hash-tag “delete Al-Nahar channel from satellites” went viral on social media, as public figures, activists and journalists expressed their anger.

The users also called for boycotting the sponsors of any TV show on Al-Nahar TV channel.

Renowned media figure Mohammed Abdel-Rahman said he is confused by Al-Nahar’s management. A board of directors cannot jeopardise the future of a whole network for the sake of only one anchor, he commented.

Mohammed Rady, who is a staff member of Saeed’s ‘Sabaia Al-Kheer’ TV show, refused to comment on the return. He said the staff simply adheres to Al-Nahar’s official announcements.

On the other hand, a hash-tag in support of Saeed’s comeback was created, where several people expressed their support of the show and defended its cause.

The TV channel issued a statement earlier on Monday announcing the show’s return. The administration claimed that many charitable organisations relying on the programme have suffered from the suspension.

The statement added that the TV show will be back to resume its “charitable role and positive cause”. However, it will continues without sponsors indefinitely.

The controversy began when footage of a woman being assaulted in a mall circulated on social media. She was invited to a TV appearance with Saeed, who then decided to air private pictures of the victim, all the while attempting to insinuate it was the victim’s alleged “impropriety” that got her assaulted.

The woman alleged that the photos were taken from her phone while it was charging in the studio without permission.

Following outrage on social media platforms, Saeed resigned from the TV channel.

The aforementioned incident was not the first time Saeed attacked a female victim of sexual harassment. In February 2015, Saeed slandered a girl who was allegedly raped and accused her of “immorality”.

 

Advertising Area



https://wwww.dailynewssegypt.com/2015/12/02/social-media-outrage-following-reham-saeeds-comeback/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe