By Nada Nader
Cairo’s Administrative Court accepted an appeal presented by Head of the Press Syndicate, Diaa Rashwan, and members of the syndicate’s council on Wednesday, regarding the postponement of the syndicate’s partial elections.
The elections will take place 6 March as scheduled before it was postponed.
The Press Syndicate’s partial elections was postponed after an appeal by journalist Ashraf Anwar, to hold elections on the council’s 12 council member seats, was accepted.
However, Rashwan and members of the council filed another five appeals on Monday to hold the scheduled partial elections instead of full elections. Partial elections are held for only six council seats, as well as for the head of the syndicate’s council.
“This is fair and I’m thankful to the court for that decision. We have to also amend laws that are related to the syndicate as per articles in the new constitution,” said Amr El-Dardiry, a journalist and candidate in the elections.
Said Abo Al-Yazid, the syndicate’s legal consultant, had previously commented that the decision to postpone elections is against the law, assuring that the court doesn’t have the right to interfere.