Interim Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs Mohamed Ibrahim inaugurated an exhibition comprising of 29 archaeological pieces, 11 of which were stolen during the 25 January revolution in 2011.
The title of the exhibition will be ‘Destruction and Restoration’ and will also feature 18 pieces that were damaged at the time and have now been restored. The pieces will be on show in hall 44 in the Egyptian Museum in downtown Cairo for the next two weeks.
The iconic Egyptian Museum, which is home to the burial mask of ancient King Tutankhamen, was looted following the violence in and around Tahrir Square on 28 January 2011 which saw the subsequent disappearance of the state security apparatus.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Ibrahim told reporters that the ministry had been able to secure some of the “most important treasures” including statues of Tutankhamen and another statue of King Akhenaten holding an offering table.
The ministry’s Chief of Museums sector Ahmed Sharaf said there are 28 pieces still missing from the museum. He added that these pieces are registered with Interpol. Among the artefacts still missing are a lapis lazuli sash belonging to Akhenaten’s daughter dating back to the 18th Dynasty and a bronze statue of an Ibis.