By Marwa Al-A’asar
CAIRO: Thousands of citizens in Suez governorate will resume protesting Monday if their demands of sacking the governor and the police directorate chief are not met.
The two officials are believed have given orders to the police force to open fire on protesters during demonstrations that started on Jan. 25.
“We will see today whether the government responds to our requests … or we will not stop protesting,” Ahmed Abdel-Gawad, an Al-Ghad party leader in Suez, told Daily News Egypt. “We are currently preparing for the mass protests.”
One citizen, who declined to be named, told Daily News Egypt that the protests will be even more intense if the citizens’ demands are ignored.
“How come these two men are still in office after the crimes they committed?” he said.
Rumors say the governor is currently hiding in a military base about 15 kilometers from the governorate, while the whereabouts of the police chief are unknown.
“Some angry citizens vowed to kill the two men if they appear in the city … as they are responsible for killing dozens and injuring hundreds,” Talaat Omar, head of Al-Ghad Party in Suez, told Daily News Egypt.
“We have informed the army of our demands … and our intention to continue protesting,” Omar added.
During the Jan. 25 protests, riot-control forces used live ammunition resulting in dozens of casualties.
Outraged citizens took to the main streets of the city the following days for more demonstrations that witnessed more violence on both sides.
“The announced official number says that only 17 have been killed and 250 injured since Jan. 25,” a medical source previously told Daily News Egypt on condition of anonymity.
“But I swear I saw dozens of dead bodies in the morgue and over 500 wounded,” he added.
During the Day of Rage on Jan. 28, angry protesters stripped the police chief and his deputy of all their clothes outside the police directorate, leaving them naked in the street.